Announcing Release 0.52!

Mostly bug fixes and problem solving with this release, although some important issues have at last been tackled.

  • MIDI CLOCK Issues:

Right then, as some of you may have noticed, depending on your external clock source, when running from MIDI clock, the Launchpad clock tended to drift slightly. It is now as tight as a pair of speedos!

Any issues that affected the Clip Follow function under MIDI clock are now resolved with this update.

  • TIMECODE Update:

I have also tightened up the TIMECODE scripts and adjusted the TIMECODE protocol, making it easier to use for the developers community, and also improving performance.

Unfortunately this involves the upsetting of any other modules which use the previous TIMECODE protocols. so I am including an update of:

(at) Timecode Viewer

(at) LFO (global)

(an explanation of the new TIMECODE protocols is available here.)

  • Improved Clip Transitions:

I have made some headway into improving the visual transition between Clips, you may have noticed that it is not always as smooth as it should be….

Here we have an issue which I thought I wouldn’t be sorted till the end, but I have made a major leap in understanding. Although I feel a real solution may be at the very limits of what is possible with modules.

To explain a little:-

When sending a keyword control to update the media, Modul8 has a short delay (depending on the codec type, file size, disk access time, etc. etc.) while it preloads that media before it can be displayed on the output. Previously I have ignored this, and the results have been quite ugly in many cases. With simple media changes this problem is unnoticeable, however when changing from Clips with a complex set of filters, scaling or other effects, Modul8 was updating the other control properties before the new media kicked in (usually about 2 frames), and therefore briefly applying those effects to the previous Clip.

So, I have introduced a user definable delay, so that the media can preload before the other controller values are applied.

To access and adjust this value, click on the ‘Preferences’ button in the Editor module. Here you will find a value called ‘Media preload’. The default value is 2 frames, which seems to behave fairly well. If in doubt, leave it alone, but if you are experiencing ‘Transition Glitches’, by all means have a play. I am considering introducing a clip specific delay – let me know what you think.

This, I feel is a solution in progress, and sometimes tight delays can glitch out Modul8 to the point where controllers in the main window do not correlate to the results on the output.

This is the kind of annoying issue that users should never have to deal with, but as it is so media specific I’m afraid the ball does land in the user’s court.

  • Other Improvements:

And it’s not all boring bug fixes and stuff, some new tools have been added too.

SET WARP POINT – Accurate setting of time warping point can now be applied at the click of a button. Note, warping is still in its infancy and I will be working to smooth it out in the future.

ZOOM TO FIT – Zoom the timeline editor to fit the In-Out points of your loop.

NUMERICAL ENVELOPE VALUES – Adjust envelope points with a numerical value. Just select the point (also works with time warp markers) and adjust its value. Certain controllers still go out of range of the timeline display, but the numerical value can overcome this. I will be addressing the vertical envelope range in future updates.

 

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you are upgrading from version 0.51, the Editor module will bug out on first run. Do not be alarmed, just restart the modules and all will be happy again. This is a symptom of the transition to the new Timecode protocol.

Advertisements